Mr. Justin M. Gross
Welcome to Winterset Community School District. I am honored to serve the Winterset Community School District as superintendent, a position I began on July 1, 2020. Winterset is a wonderful community filled with caring adults who want the best for our students and community. We are committed to the lifelong success of our students. As a district we are driven by our vision, we are committed to creating:
- Engaged and successful students inspired and supported by caring and professional staff.
- A culture and environment where continuous learning and innovation is valued and honored.
- A partnership of excellence among the board, administration, staff, students, families, and community.
In order to achieve the district’s vision we have identified the following core values that will drive our words and actions as we work towards realizing our vision;
- Excellence: Achieving our very best in all that we do
- Inspiration: Encouraging and motivating others to strive and excel
- Care: Being kind and respectful to others and myself
- Innovation: Being creative, unique, and forward-thinking in our learning and work
- Pride: Committing, dedicating and being loyal to self, school, community, and world
Achieving the success we envision for our students will require that we continuously work together to provide authentic learning experiences for our staff and students. As a district, our job is to ensure that we prepare all of our students for whatever they choose to do once they graduate. In order to accomplish this goal, we must continuously strive to provide multiple pathways for our students to discover their talents and follow their passions.
I want to personally welcome you to our district and community. I would also like to invite you to follow our distinct on our social media platforms and other communication channels which are provided below.
- District homepage updated weekly with stories and information
- School homepages are updated frequently with information
- Daily calendar of events for schools as well as athletics/activities is located on district homepage
- Videos on district homepage
- Superindendent Justin Gross Twitter Account - Follow me @J_grossWCSD
- Winterset Husky for Athletics and Activities updates - Follow us @WintersetHusky
- WintersetSchool for district updates on what’s happening in our school - Follow us @WintersetSchool
- Our official Facebook page is www.facebook.com/wintersetschools
- Located on both the district and school homepages - include fliers, newsletters, important and timely information
Infinite Campus Messenger
- Used for important reminders, deadlines, snow days, emergencies
- Published the first of every month and located on the district website homepage
- Article by Superintendent every other week
Justin M. Gross
Superintendent for Winterset Community Schools
Justin Gross’s Bio
Justin Gross graduated from Walnut High School in Walnut, Iowa in 1996. After graduation, Justin attended Briar Cliff College in Sioux City, IA where he was a member of the Charger Baseball team and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences. After graduation, he attended the Teacher Academy Program (TAP) at the University of Nebraska in Omaha (UNO) where he obtained his teaching credentials. Justin’s first teaching position was in Griswold, Iowa where he taught 8th grade Earth Science, Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Environmental Science. In addition to his teaching duties, he also was the Head Girls Basketball coach, Assistant Baseball Coach, and served as Co-Athletic Director for 2 years. While teaching and coaching at Griswold Justin obtained his Master’s Degree in School Administration from UNO.
After teaching and coaching in Griswold for 5 years, Justin accepted a co-principal position at Missouri Valley where he served in that role for 3 years. In 2010, Justin became the high school principal in Nevada, a role he held for 6 years before transitioning into the Associate Superintendent position where he served the district for 4 years before accepting the Winterset Superintendent position in 2020. Justin is currently pursuing his doctoral degree at Iowa State University.
Justin has been married to his wife Melanie since 2001, together they have 3 children; twin daughters Addison and Avery, and son Andrew (Drew). In his spare time, Justin enjoys spending time with his family and friends. When he isn’t attending school events you can find him watching his children in their own athletic event or enjoying one of his hobbies, which include hunting, fishing, and golfing.