Dr. Susie Meade
Welcome to the Winterset Community Schools website. It is a pleasure to serve as the Superintendent for one of the best districts in the state of Iowa. Students and their learning are the reason we exist and we work each day to realize our district’s vision. In Winterset we want to become a district with:
- engaged and successful students inspired and supported by caring and professional staff
- a culture and environment where continuous learning and innovation is valued and honored
- a partnership of excellence among the board, administration, staff, students, families and community.
To reach our mission and vision we are focusing on three main priorities within our schools and within every classroom. These include:
- becoming a Professional Learning Community (PLC) culture,
- using the Gradual Release of Responsibility Instructional Framework in every classroom, and
- ensuring high quality learning aligned to the Iowa Core and National Standards.
Realizing these priorities, for our students in Winterset, is an ongoing process that takes everyone’s effort and focus. School systems that have committed to and focused upon these key priorities have improved student learning and increased student engagement in their own learning. We have made so much progress since our work began in 2012. This work is difficult, continuous, and never ending. I'm thankful to the dedicated professionals in Winterset who are committed to making this happen. This is certainly a journey worth taking for our students.
Within our district we strive to communicate often about our work. There are many ways you can connect with us.
- District homepage updated weekly with stories and information
- School homepages are updated frequently with information
- Daily calendar of events for schools as well as athletics/activities is located on district homepage
- Videos on district homepage
- Winterset Husky for Athletics and Activities updates - Follow us @WintersetHusky
- WintersetSchool for district updates on what’s happening in our school - Follow us @WintersetSchool
- Our official Facebook page is www.facebook.com/wintersetschools
- Located on both the district and school homepages - include fliers, newsletters, important and timely information
Infinite Campus Messenger
- Used for important reminders, deadlines, snow days, emergencies
- Published the first of every month and located on the district website homepage
- Article by Superintendent every other week
Want to submit a story for us to share? We have a tip link on our website’s homepage for the public to submit ideas for stories.
Lastly, everyone who is a part of the Winterset Community School District values your input and feedback as we collaborate to develop an exemplary school system. We know our students will someday become adult members of our community. We want to be confident that we have prepared them well, for a lifetime of personal success. This year, as every year, we commit ourselves to providing the very best educational experience for every student. Please let us know how we can work together with you, to realize this for each and every student in the Winterset School District!
Dr. Susie Meade
Superintendent for Winterset Community Schools
Dr. Meade BIO
Susie (Evans) Meade graduated from Clarion High School (Clarion, Iowa) in 1985. She attended the University of Iowa and obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Secondary Education with certification in Home Economics. Her first teaching position was in the Faribault Minnesota Community School District as a junior high and high school Home Economics teacher. While teaching, she obtained her Master’s Degree in Special Education from Mankato State University. Because her husband’s job transferred him often, she had the opportunity to teach in a variety of different school districts and in diverse positions. She's worked as a/an
*Elementary Behavior Disorders Special Education Teacher in Fort Dodge, Iowa
*Secondary Learning Disabilities Special Education Teacher in Algona, Iowa
*Elementary Special Education Resource and Self Contained Teacher in West Des Moines, Iowa
As an administrator, Dr. Meade has served as a/an:
*Assistant Middle School Principal, in the Saydel School District,
*Elementary Principal in Saydel and Mesa, Arizona,
*Director of Special Programs in West Des Moines,
*Assistant Superintendent in Ankeny, and
*Superintendent in Winterset.
Her experiences in small rural districts, Des Moines metro districts, as well as a large metro district in Mesa Arizona, which served over 74,000 students, has given her a broad perspective of educational systems. Additionally she has served as an adjunct professor of special education at GrandView and Morningside and in Educational Administration at Iowa State University.
Susie earned her PhD from Iowa State University in Educational Administration. Her dissertation was titled, “Look what boot camp’s done for me”: Teaching and Learning in Lakeview Academy Boot Camp. In 2016, Dr. Meade completed the AASA National Superintendent Certification becoming one of less that 100 superintendents in the United States to receive this honor.
She has been married to her husband, Rob, since 1989. He is the Human Resources Specialist at Agriland Farm Service in Winterset. Their daughter, Mackenzie, graduated from Truman State in Kirksville, Missouri with a degree in Health Sciences. She is currently a student at the University of Iowa pursuing her doctorate of Pharmacy.